Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, July 25, 2013

Leprosy with Chicken and Squash - Myth or Fact?

 During the olden days, they say that chicken and squash causes leprosy when mixed in a single recipe. I am not sure if we are the only place who once, believed this kind of chronicle, that if you mix squash and chicken together in one recipe, it will cause leprosy. One day, I was hanging out with my friend in his barbecue house and we talked about a small restaurant near his business. He told me to be careful if by any chance I will eat in that restaurant because that restaurant does not care about its customers. I asked why. He added "Because they have a squash recipe and they mixed chicken in It." my curiosity pushed me to do a little research about the so-called "chicken and squash leprosy."

It is difficult to be unwanted; however it is worse if you become unwanted because of leprosy. If you are familiar with the Bible, you can see that during that time the only cure to this disease is miracle. Lepers in biblical times are lonely people because other people will stay away from them because their disease is communicable and they have no cure to leprosy during that time but miracle.

Can chicken and squash cause leprosy? This question started my train of thoughts that pushed me to do a research about this. I tried to search for a dish containing squash and chicken in eateries around my place and I did not find any. I tried to ask why they do not have a type of dish contains chicken and squash, they said it is not good to mix in one dish because they can cause leprosy. Now, I questioned myself “why would they think like that?” if it is not true why they would think about it.

 "Is it true that mixing chicken and squash in a recipe causes leprosy?"

Closer Look at Leprosy

Leprosy is a kind of infection that damages the skin, and this is basically caused by bacteria called Mycobacterium leprae and Mycobacterium lepromatosis according to Wikipedia. Leprosy is also known as Hansen’s disease – named after a great Norwegian physician Gerard Henrik Hansen who identified the bacteria that causes leprosy in the year 1873.
Mycobacterium leprae
Mycobacterium leprae

Hansen’s disease is basically starts in our peripheral nerves that is located just outside the spine and brain that serves as a channel to connect our central nervous system to our organs and different parts of our body, relaying the impulses to and fro. Peripheral nerves are very vulnerable to damages because there is nothing that protects it, like bones or any other tissue. There is a big chance that you will experience this disease genetically.

Mycobacterium leprae and lepromatosis attacks our vulnerable peripheral nerves and causes skin lesions that look like a rotting of our skin slowly, and progressively. If left untreated, skin lesions and basic infections may worsen and lead our fingers and toes to dissolve; making it look like it is consumed by some sort of parasites.

Though leprosy is a dangerous disease, our technology has found a way to kill the bacteria that manifests in our peripheral nerves and cure us from leprosy. You can reduce the risk to get this disease is to be careful of the water you drink and bath; eat healthy foods, diet plays a great role when it comes to our immune system, anything that compromises our immune system increase our chance to have this disease; and keep your bedding, and any clothing that may contact your skin clean. These are the basic actions you can do to avoid this kind of disease.

Summary:

According to our closer look at leprosy, there is none that points squash and chicken causes leprosy. Therefore, it is just a tale from the past that leprosy is caused by eating a food containing chicken and squash. We all know that during our ancestor’s time, they still did not find out what really caused leprosy, and maybe a coincidence happened that a man who is already infected leprosy ate a chicken-squash kind of viand, and days or months past, the condition worsens because it was not treated in the first place, and not because of chicken and squash. In fact, there is a bigger chance you will get the bacteria that causes leprosy from an armadillo than from the dish. The idea was just brought down to us from our past ancestors without any supporting fact surrounding the idea.


Newer Post
Previous
This is the last post.

22 comments:

  1. Haha! My dad just told me about "chicken and squash causes leprosy". So I googled it and found this. Thanks for doing the research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once eat in restaurant and ordered a chicken and squash, two different recipes and then there is that one customer who told me that it is not good to mix those two recipes because it can cause leprosy. I still eat the chicken and squash then do the research afterwards then I found this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I also eat chicken and squash then later on I found this. Is there any updates on you?

      Delete
  3. 2011 i hvisited culion, the island was a former home to a leprosarium during 1960s in the philippines, though everyone was already healed, there are still folks who avoid combining squash and chicken in a dish, even around the other islands in palawan, you would rarely see this combo in a dish, i guess the people there got used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother-in-law once told me not to mix chicken and squash when cooking as it can cause leprosy, which until now I try to avoid. There is nothing wrong if we heed our old folks' advice, whether it is a fact or a myth than feel sorry in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I beg to differ, there's indeed nothing wrong in following the old people's advices, but I think persisting that knowledge without proper research is a bit absurd and should never be a habit. Lack of knowledge is infectious, and I think that not everything the older generations say are true, we are in the 21st century anyway and knowledge is relatively very accessible.

      Delete
  5. Thank for your research about squash and chicken it might be by chance that the patient was not diagnosed of the disease but he/she already has it & he/she ate such combo. Now it enlighten me about it. I was googling and found this. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really, squash and chicken should not be combined 'coz it can cause leprosy...i grew up in the province and i did not not tale... anyway...i was shocked when i read about something and good to know that i have read thru google.

    ReplyDelete
  7. actually I am cooking this together right now... that is why I open the Google to clarify if they have studied this kind of beliefs regarding this matter... and I am so glad I can eat it and I cannot waste it and throwing it just because of what ancient people believed... I totally agree the Google researchers...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was assigned to cook family dinner last night, the viand i make a combination of squash and chicken in a recipe, the kids love it. Only the elderly don’t πŸ˜” because they were afraid of the myth. So i then asked google and i found this. Thank You so much for the info. 😊 I will tell my parents about this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my relatives cooked chicken and squash together in one dish and the next day they got rashes...I dont know if it is leprosy but their skin did get quite irritated. (Her whole family got rashes.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Recently I just eat squash and chicken together. Is there any update about your family? Please let me know cause I am really scared

      Delete
    2. I did eat too, i know about the myth but didnt mind it. And now i am suffering itchiness both of my palms. It has small bumps, which makes it thick and rough. I am now taking antihestamine hoping it will be cure soonest, i should've just listen πŸ˜…πŸ˜”

      Delete
  10. Cooked Ginataang Chicken with Kalabasa and Okra today. Posted it in a food group. Made quite a stir. It's a No No according to some. I laughed about it. Then I google it just now. A myth, a tale, a joke. Then I laughed some more! Thanks for this info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totoo ba magka leprosy 0 Hindi totoo.

      Delete
    2. nakakain na rin ako ng pinakbit na sinahugan ng manok,,,,tutuo nga nakaka ano sya....nakakabusog!πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ

      Delete
  11. Cooked Ginataang Chicken with Kalabasa and Okra today. Posted it in a food group. Made quite a stir. It's a No No according to some. I laughed about it. Then I google it just now. A myth, a tale, a joke. Then I laughed some more! Thanks for this info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ayooo same here dude LMFAO! Okay, it is my first time to cook food that's not a Filipino dish. Pad Phuk Tong, a Thai dish. Then suddenly my step sister asked me why did I put chicken and pumpkin together, saying it is a no go. So I asked her why a dozen times and she just said "Basta.." while eating LOL. She's the only one to react tho.

      Delete
  12. totoo ba magka leprosy 0 hindi totoo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was supposed to cook chicken with monggo but mother inlaw told me that its not good to mixed it because you can have leprosy so i research on it because in my hometown we mixed it naman but then i was curious about it.i research and i found this.. hehe but its not monggo but squash. Thanks anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nah. Been cooking monggo-papaya-kalabasa-chicken for years now.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2013 Paolo Yanez Blog All Right Reserved